| || Global Day of Action index page | White Poppies for Peace |
Global Day of Action on Military Spending
Events in Aotearoa New Zealand, 2013
Please scroll down the page for details of the events in Wellington on Monday, 15 April and in Auckland on Monday, 15 and Tuesday, 16 April 2013. Information about the 2013 Global Day of Action in Aotearoa New Zealand is available on Facebook here, Facebook events for the public forums are included in the listings below - please share the links on your page! The details of this year's Global Day of Action events formatted for printing are available here.
Wellington, Monday, 15 April 2013
- Leafletting for the Global Day of Action - join us from 12.30pm to 1.30pm at Midland Park (corner Johnston Street and Lambton Quay). If you can help, or for more information, please contact Peace Movement Aotearoa, email.
- Public forum on government spending priorities - join us from 5.30pm to 7pm for a discussion on:
- Children’s wellbeing - Barbara Lambourn, National Advocacy Manager, UNICEF NZ
- Ending sexual violence - Kate Abel, National Coordinator Tauiwi Caucus, Te Ohaakii a Hine - National Network Ending Sexual Violence Together
- Overseas development assistance - Martin de Jong, Communications and International Advocacy Coordinator, Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand
- Military expenditure - Edwina Hughes, Coordinator, Peace Movement Aotearoa
Forum from 5.30pm to 7pm, light refreshments at 5.15pm, St Andrew’s on the Terrace, 30 The Terrace (entry via the stairs at the back of the car park on the south side of the church). For more information, contact Peace Movement Aotearoa, email. You can RSVP on Facebook here. A flyer for this public forum is available here.
Auckland, Monday, 15 and Tuesday, 16 April 2013
- Monday, 15 April: Leafletting for the Global Day of Action - join us from 12.30pm to 1.30pm at Britomart / Queen Street intersection (outside Downtown). Organised by the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) and Pax Christi, if you can help, or for more information, please contact WILPF.
- Tuesday, 16 April: Public forum marking the Global Day of Action on Military Spending - Join us from 5.30pm to 7.30pm for a screening of 'War Redefined' from the Women, War and Peace series, a presentation on the costs of militarism in times of peace, and discussion. " 'War Redefined' challenges the conventional wisdom that war and peace are men's domain, and reframes our understanding of modern warfare through probing conversations with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and Madeleine Albright; Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee; Bosnian war crimes investigator Fadila Memisevic; Zainab Salbi, Founder of Women for Women International; globalisation expert Moisés Naím; and Cynthia Enloe of Clark University, among others. Narrated by Geena Davis." From 5.30pm to 7.30pm, including light refreshments, at The Peace Place, 22 Emily Place, Auckland City. Organised by Peace Movement Aotearoa, WILPF Aotearoa and Pax Christi Aotearoa New Zealand, for more information please contact email. You can RSVP on Facebook here. The A4 flyer for this public forum is available here.
If you would like your event listed here, please contact Peace Movement Aotearoa with 'Global Day of Action event' in the subject line.
International Global Day of Action site | Peace Movement Aotearoa