Help PMA grow | Petition forms | Site map | PMA main page
Gulf War Anniversary 2003
the 12th anniversary of the start of the Gulf war
THURS, 16 January - Vigil for Peace on the 12th Anniversary of the start of the Gulf War, 4-30pm outside the US Consulate, Custom Street. Organised by Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), for more info contact Joan Macdonald tel (09) 360 8001 or email.
THURS, 16 January - Stop killing the people of Iraq! all day peace presence at the US embassy to mark the anniversary of the start of the Gulf War and twelve years of ongoing bombing and strafing attacks, and vicious economic sanctions which have resulted in the deaths of more than one and a half million people.
* 7-30am to 9am - protest along the Murphy Street side of the embassy as the morning commuters pass by; bring a banner, noise makers, and long strips of crimson or red ribbons or streamers
* 9am to 6-30pm - organise your own peaceful protest along the Murphy Street side of the embassy
* 5pm to 6pm - weekly vigil for peace at the Cenotaph, corner Bowen St and Lambton Quay
* 6pm - march to the US embassy
* 6-30pm - rally with speakers in Fitzherbert Tce.
SAT, 18 January - No to war on Iraq! anti-war march and rally to protest against the planned war on Iraq, especially against any NZ involvement; leaves 1-30pm from the Museum, march through the city via Cashel Mall and High St to the Square, rally with speakers including Dean Peter Beck, Mayor Garry Moore, Keith Locke, Moana Cole and Tim Barnett in the Square. Organised by the Christchurch Peace Action Network, for more info contact email.
SAT, 18 January - March for peace - 12 noon leaves the museum, 12-30pm rally with speakers, a sausage sizzle and music, in the Octagon (wet weather venue, inside the Cathedral). For more info contact tel 021 234 2336 or email.